Friday, April 3, 2009

The Story Behind the Book

Our family attends World Harvest Church (WHC) is Columbus, OH. Currently we are in our 40 day fast for the season of Lent, leading up to Easter. This is also the time when many of us are preparing a special sacrificial offering, or Resurrection Seed, in honor of the sacrifice Jesus made for us, and in celebration of his resurrection. This year my wife and I have decided to step out on faith and let God move by committing one week's income. The reason this is such a big step of faith is because I am currently unemployed. As a result, giving up one week's income would make an already difficult situation even more difficult.

Muddling along on unemployment compensation, looking for work, and trying to build a home based business, we had no idea where the money for this seed would come from.
We realize some would say committing to an amount we really couldn't afford is stupidity; and if we were the ones in control we would agree. But we are not in control. God is. And with God in control, there is no wrong direction.

Anyway, I needed a plan to raise the money for the seed. So I asked God to give me something…someway of coming up with this seed. A few days later I found myself lying in bed, wide awake, at 6 AM with this idea for a cookbook running through my head. I thought to myself, “Why in the world am I awake at 6 in the morning? And why am I thinking about a cookbook?” I rolled over to go back to sleep, but I could not stop thinking about it. Then, with a little prompting from the Holy Spirit (yes, for the doubters, God still does speak to his people), I realized this was the idea I’d asked for. “Why a cookbook?“ I asked. “I've got several sitting on a shelf that rarely get opened.” And I heard these words in my spirit, “Just trust me.” So that’s what we’re doing, trusting Him.

Now we realize that some folks are turned off by this sort of talk. That's fine.
Some will be touch by what we're doing, some will not. Some will feel led to contribute, other will not. We have no control over any of that. We will not hide our faith in God and what he's able to do just to avoid offending a few people.

If you do contribute, you will not just be helping us with our Resurrection Seed, you will be helping to:

  • feed millions of starving children and families
  • put clothes on their backs
  • put a roof over their heads
  • provide education to children who otherwise would not have access to it
  • restore lives devastated by natural disasters
  • etc.
Please consider helping us help them by purchasing our collection of recipes or donating.


Thank you and God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment